Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day One: In Which We Drive to Sacramento and Rinda Drinks a Monster

Here it is! Day one of our adventure. We started our journey after church (and getting groceries and eating lunch). Joel had found a buyer for our Volvo (praise the Lord!), but the guy lives in Sacramento. Therefore, Joel decided that he would drive it down and I would drive the girls in the Subaru. So far so good! Except that I had just finished a three-day practicum in Applegate and had driven a total of 12 hours during those three days. I was wiped out and having a hard time keeping my eyes open. I found myself leaning my head against the cold side-window, turning the AC on, and occasionally shaking my head with vim and vigor to keep myself awake. Finally, just before the last exit for Redding, my eyes closed. They popped open in time to miss the cement barrier along the edge of the highway. Scary business, that! I took the exit, found a gas station, and bought myself a low-carb Monster. That is NASTY stuff! but extremely effective. I drank 1/4 of it and was fine for the last two hours of the drive. Monster saves lives, my friends! After the Volvo was safely in the hands of a very nice couple, Joel took the wheel (and dumped the rest of my Monster because it smelled so bad). We managed to find Bob and Rosalie's house, despite Google's poor directions, and there spent a lovely evening with good food and wonderful company. The end.
Many, many thanks to those who prayed for our safety! Many, many thanks to Bob and Rosalie for their outstanding hospitality! Many, many thanks to those (Buck and my mom in particular) for taking care of our home and animals so that we could leave for two weeks! Many, many thanks to those who gave financially so we can serve here! And many, many thanks to the Lord for His protection and travel blessings.
*Disclaimer: If anything in this post is spelled incorrectly, I am truly sorry. I tried to spell check, and I think that Jackie's computer thinks I speak Spanish, because nearly every word was highlighted. Seriously. Alas!
**Disclaimer dos: I will add pics when we return home. :)
***Disclaimer tres: Yup. It thinks I speak Spanish, because "dos" isn't highlighted. :)

No comments: