Friday, July 4, 2008

Why this now?

It seemed like we had a pretty good thing going at our old house on Mt. Whitney St. In fact, sometimes I really kick myself for leaving there. I mean, when you go from this:

To this:

Well, maybe you can't understand... I guess that picture doesn't show all its horrid glory. Actually, it looks pretty quaint doesn't it?

Well, don't let it fool you, it's a demon in white lap siding.

So what are we doing? I guess what it comes down to is that while we have never been folks who spend beyond our means, we feel like there is always room for improving how we utilize the blessings that God has bestowed on us. Frankly, money has never been my strong point. Somehow, no matter how much more money I make in each job change, we still end up at the same point - nearly every dollar accounted for and never any seeming change in living conditions. That's the way it feels at least.

While we were still in the other house we felt like if only we could be a little more self-sufficient we could provide ourselves - most importantly, the girls - with a lifestyle that we could benefit from. When I say benefit I mean that we'll be healthy, well rounded, hopefully more Godly, studious, hard-working, well, a lot of things that we haven't been. And in a way green, not green like you hear it talked about in the news - that self-righteous, money-driven attempt to assuage the guilt by buying the newest technology or "carbon offsets." blah. I'm no hippie (despite what the guys at work say), I love my Land Cruiser - wish I could afford to drive it more - but there is some green in staying away from a new vehicle and driving a 26 year old tank. Yes Meghan, my Cruiser is older than you.

The first place we wanted to start was education - Rinda and I both have Bachelor's degrees, hers in Human Development and Education. What great way to start, not easy, but definetly do-able. later I'll let Rinda write more about her educational philosophy and the program she uses called Classical Conversations - she's much better spoken about it than I am.

It's getting late so I'll end this here but we'll come back to this topic another time - there's lots more to write about....

1 comment:

Mike said...

Hey there, fellow bloggers. Welcome. I (Mike) enjoyed reading what you have so far. The house looks good! I have a small request for your posts which Mindee and I have been trying to do on ours as well. Since you are posting as "the Scotts" it might be helpful to us readers if you ID which one of you is writing each post. It makes it less awkward for when I'm reading assuming Joel is writing and then find out it's Rinda talking about a dress she's wearing. (You can see the danger in that). I look forward to reading more!