Monday, July 28, 2008

Flying trusses

Progress is a funny thing. One day you're just bumming along, doing what needs to be done and making progress - but from the outside it doesn't appear than any significant work has been done. On the other hand, in one day the entire look of the project can change, suddenly an angular conglomeration of lumber and sheeting begins to look more like a house. In both instances progress is being made, but one is infinitely more satisfying than the other


Today we flew trusses. A crane is pretty handy for lifting 24' wide by 12 foot tall trusses into place. There are only a few tidbits to comment on but first I want to thank those that came out and helped.


Flying trusses is a little different than flying F-15's for Brian "Bueno" Bergeron!


Brent Brewer keeps thing organized on the ground.

Jeff Klein keeps us supplied (with wit and sarcasm!)


And thanks to our neighbor Don - who let us use his yard for the truss truck - and in return got a new gate and fence post, courtesy of the truss truck driver who demolished them on his way into the yard.


Rinda wants me to make sure that I include a picture of our ceiling-less bathroom for posterity, so here it is:





Insert funny story here: The weather has been very nice and the cool beginning to our summer has really kept the bugs down. I'd been working late and hadn't had any problems with bugs. So I didn't think twice on Friday when I ripped the ceiling and back wall out of the bathroom in preparation for today. Wouldn't ya know it? Friday was the day that the all manner of insects came out in full force - mosquitoes, midges, moths and all kinds of other creepy, crawly, buzzy, flying thingamajiggers. Taking a shower that night was NOT pleasant.



Anyway, with the help of the guys mentioned above, we were able to get all of our trusses at least close to in place. We set up the gable truss on the far side and then set the four trusses for that pop-out as a pack to set up later:



Then we set the center section attic room trusses with the help of the crane so that we wouldn't have to roll those big buggers by hand:

Finally, we set the 5 trusses for the eastside popout as a pack:

Jeff and I worked feverishly over the weekend (which just happened to be my drill weekend) to finish the interior walls and little jobs needed before the trusses. Sunday night the bible study gang came over and the guys helped me finish up the top plating and I marked out the truss layout in preparation for the 8 am truss delivery.

I'd be remiss if I didn't add a picture of my ladies washing Mommy's car, in costume of course.

5 comments:

Meghan said...

cool!

Is there any way you can make all the pictures clickable so they can be bigger? When you upload the pictures, choose "large". That's what I always do and somehow they are then clickable.

The Scotts said...

They're clickable for me - perhaps there is something amiss on your end?

Meghan said...

NEVER

Unknown said...

now now cousins... take it easy or I won't let you peel my back!

Wow Joel, amazing what you're doing! I, of course would never dream of trying it. Give the kids a big squeeze from me!
Scott

Meghan said...

haha. EW Scott. Let's not talk about that in a public forum.